Social Services

Social Services

The Salvation Army provides a wide range of traditional social services and emergency assistance programs.   In the Greater Kanawha Valley, The Salvation Army provides the following services

Financial Assistance

Utility Terminations or finalized bills (water, gas, electric & sewer). Must be in the name of an adult currently living in the household. Call us to make an appointment to discuss financial assistance.

Prescription Assistance

Salvation Army only works with Fruth Pharmacy on Lee St. NO controlled substances and must have your prescription or refill information.

Food Pantry

Open M-Th 9:00-11:30, 1:00 – 2:30
One time every 3 months
Commodity food 1 time per month
Commodity Supplement Food Program for Seniors 60+

Rental Assistance

Eviction notices/1st month’s rent only. No private landlords or deposits. Financial and Rental Assistance is available by appointment only.

Our Other Social Services Include:

  • Clothing (Clothing vouchers are given ONE time a year with referral)
  • Rent & Utility Payment Assistance
  • Prescription Assistance
  • Substance Abuse Rehabilitation
  • Youth Services
  • Financial Assistance(Utilities/Rent)
  • Hygiene Supplies
  • Senior Citizen Services
  • Emergency Disaster Response
  • Christmas Assistance
  • Furniture and Household Items (by referral from Red Cross, FEMA, or Hope House domestic violence shelter)
  • And much, much more

As programs vary by community and funding availability, schedule an appointment with our office by calling (304)343-4548. 

Photo Identification and Personal Interview required. All services based on availability of funds.

Pathway Of Hope

The Mission of Pathway of Hope is to provide enhanced services to families that are ready to take action to break the cycle of poverty for their children and generations to come.

You’re eligible if:

  • You have at least one child under the age of 18.
  • You’re ready to take action to improve your life.

The Pathway of Hope approach moves families from crisis & vulnerability to stability.

We Provide:

  • Strengths-based case management
  • A network of support
  • A sense of community
  • Holistic programs
  • Spiritual guidance

Services Include:

  • Job training
  • Health services
  • Childcare and education
  • Housing options
  • Legal services
  • Community Referrals

Find out more today at Pathway of Hope

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a food pantry and when/how often can I come?

Yes, The Salvation Army has a pantry open from Mon-Thur 9:00 to 11:30 and 1:00 to 2:30, and Friday 9:00 to 11:30
Please bring a valid photo ID.

Pantry is one time every three months with the exception of government commodities which may be given out once a month.

What kind of financial assistance do you offer?

Financial assistance is based on availability of funds. We assist with utility terminations, and rental assistance. We are unable to assist with rental deposits.

Do you have baby supplies?

Yes when supplies are available.

Can you help with my utility bills?

Once a year you may receive financial assistance for a utility termination. Must be for gas, electric, water or sewer.
An appointment is required and is based on available funding at that time.

The bill must be in the name of an adult living in the household and a valid photo Id must be presented.

Do you help with rent and deposit?

When funding is available The Salvation Army can assist with an eviction notice or toward first month’s rent, by appointment.

Requests from landlords must be typed and on an appropriate letterhead or court ordered, a valid photo ID must be presented
NO PRIVATE LANDLORDS, all rental property must fill out a W9 form for us to assist.

Do you have the Dollar Energy Program?

Yes, The Salvation Army collaborates with The Dollar Energy Program to assist clients in the counties we serve. Please call to make an appointment.
Dollar Energy opens in October for Mountaineer Gas and WV American Water and in December For American Electric Power and last as long as funding is available.
To qualify you must have the following:

  • Termination in the name of an adult living in the household
  • Proof of income for all household members for the last 30 days
  • Social Security card for the rate payer
  • Proof that you yourself have paid $100.00 in the past three months on your bill, $50.00 for Water
  • You can visit for more information
Do you provide bus passes?
We are unable to provide bus passes at this time.
Do you help with clothing and household items?

Yes, The Salvation Army can issue a voucher to our Wyoming Street Thrift store for clothing and household items or furniture
You must visit the Social Service office to receive the voucher, present a Valid Photo ID and a referral explaining your need is preferred for clothing.

To receive a voucher for household items and furniture you must be victim of a flood or fire or coming out of a domestic violence shelter. You will need a referral from Red Cross, FEMA, or the Domestic Violence Shelter.